Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Final Days - Learning a Lesson

I am the only member of the boat that has competed at Henley. The event - Thames Challenge Cup in 2012 with Potomac Boat Club.

The experience changed my life forever. I sometimes talk about it with the guys in the boat. I remember one particular moment that changed my attitude on rowing and competition  - it goes back to May 8th, 2012.

I had already bought the ticket (flights) for the regatta and worked my butt off to make the boat. My erg scores and rowing ability were good enough for the boat. But on May 8th my coach pulled me aside after practice and said "someone in the Open Four wants your seat and has demanded that he seat races you again for a position in the boat. Given that he has been around the club for years and is a very talented rower, I feel obligated to give him a race. You will seat race him several times tomorrow morning."

Can you believe that? About 45 days from the event I am being seat raced! Well, I had encouragement from everyone in the boat and the team. But at the end of the day....that was just words. I had to race a very skilled oarsman for a seat in a boat that would change my life.

The next morning I came prepared. We were doing a series of 5 minute pieces in fours. I didn't speak to anyone. My first line up had beaten his boat by more than a length. We took an early lead and held. On the switch, the coach didn't say a word...she knew I needed no encouragement. After a minute on the second piece I had a 2 length lead. Following the next 4 minutes I took a seat every 3 strokes. I solidified myself as the best rower. The entire team saw it. The coach made the switch several more times and each time I was victorious.

We were less than 45 days from competing in the hardest regatta of our lives and we were STILL seat racing.

I look at BRC and this boat. We have had ZERO seat races but have had the same line up since October 2015. We don't have distractions like we did in 2012. We don't have a set of rowers demanding they get a seat race because they "deserve it".

This boat is far more prepared than I was in 2012.

Although I felt as if I earned my seat (a feeling many rowers have and a feeling that propels them to victory), the distraction in 2012 shook my nerves and hurt my energy for the race.

I look forward to what we are doing in 2016. It is an honor to row with these boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment